Love him or hate him, it really doesn’t matter.
The fact remains that he has a tremendous impact on stocks with his tweets, his speeches, and his actions.
In fact, we can prove it with history.
Infrastructure cement, cyber security and even defense stocks were solid proof, as he began his term as president.
For example, in mid-2017, nearly all defense stocks rallied after the President inked a weapons deal with the Saudis worth nearly $350 billion over the next decade.
- Raytheon (RTN) ran from $156 to $209
- Boeing (BA) ran from $175 to $347
- General Dynamics (GD) ran from $191 to $227
- Northrop Grumman (NOC) ran from $243 to nearly $340
Days later, Trump asked for approval on a $668 billion defense budget for 2018 that would boost military spending. It would increase the Defense Department’s budget to $574.6 billion, buy six ships, new fighter jets, 15 new KC-46 air tankers, which are used for aerial refueling and help grow the U.S. military by another 56,000 new service members.
The news sent related defense stocks even higher.
Infrastructure Stocks Exploded
In February 2018, for example just as President Trump promised, the White House released a $1.5 trillion infrastructure plan to help rebuild the nation’s roads, bridges and airports.
- U.S. Steel (X) ran from a November 2017 low of $25 to $36
- U.S. Concrete (USCR) ran from $71 to $84
- Vulcan Materials (VMC) ran from $120 to $140
- Jacobs Engineering (JEC) ran from $58 to $72.
Tariff-Related Stocks Exploded
Then, when the Trump Administration recommended steep tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum, steel and aluminum stocks ran.
- Small cap stock AK Steel (AKS) ran from $5 to $6.14
- U.S. Steel Corporaiton (X) ran from $39 to $45
- Century Aluminum (CENX) ran from $21.82 to nearly $25
- Steel Dynamics (STLD) ran from $46.50 to nearly $50
- Nucor Corporation (NUE) ran from $65 to $69.50
It just goes to prove that it’s never a good idea to ignore what President Trump has to say, tweet, or note. Otherwise, you stand to miss out on the potential to rake in sizable returns.